The title is a little misleading. The cabinet doesn’t have a glass front – it doesn’t have any front! It does still have glass sides though, and I am sure that at one time it had glass doors as well. And glass-sided cabinet didn’t really sound right.
This great, solid, old cabinet was left behind by the previous owner’s family. It was in rough shape – some of the original shelves had been replaced by simple plywood, there were paint spills on the shelves and side glass, and some kind of varnish spill on the bottom shelf which hardened into a clump that was impossible to chip away. The original feet suffered years of water damage. And the doors were nowhere to be found. Other than that, it was perfect! ha.
A few years ago Kevin cut the feet off to make it a little more sturdy, and we used it in the pantry/entry space. It’s always been extremely useful, but I never loved the look with mismatched baskets and bins on the shelves. Since I am updating the space, the cabinet deserved an update as well.
Kevin replaced the feet and made a new shelf to replace one of the replacements. (huh?)
I painted all but the top with SW Antiquity. I wanted a green to coordinate with curtains that I had planned to use in the space. (Which I’ve since decided not to use!) Antiquity matches the green perfectly – but only in low light! It’s so weird – this color is completely different in low or bright light. In bright light the color doesn’t look green at all, it’s yellowish-gold. I wasn’t sure I liked it at first, but it’s grown on me. As luck would have it, the rug that I found for the space has both green and yellow in it. It’s coming together!
I found the wire baskets at Marshall’s. Have you ever used wire baskets for anything that wasn’t decorative? If you’re using them to store something tidy, they look great. If you’re throwing water bottles (the reusable kind – we have a ton!) or snacks in them, they look terrible. Much better with the liners!!! They were so simple to make (the second one was simple – after I made a bunch of mistakes on the first one).
The baskets are from Target. I would have liked to find ones that filled the space a little more.
I swear I need to learn how to make baskets. Basket Weaving 101. Skipped that one in college! There have been so many times I’ve looked for a certain size and can’t find any, or found some that cost too much to buy multiples of. I think these ones look pretty nice though!
I needed a shelf for hiding things that aren’t pretty but get used often.
I added a simple burlap curtain to the bottom shelf – it’s hung on a small dowel rod and attached with cup hooks.
I used the edge of the burlap for the bottom of the curtain – no sewing on that end required. I ran a stitch along each of the curtain’s ends to keep the burlap from fraying. Two more rows of stitching to make a pocket for the dowel rod, and it was done.
I love the way it turned out. It holds much more than before, and it looks way more organized – and pretty! This piece is a part of the pantry of the entry/pantry/office space. One step closer…