How’s that for a descriptive title? I’m feeling especially creative today, it seems!
It has been months since I found, and posted about these beautiful green doors that I bought (for only $10 a piece) to use as a sliding door to our yet-to-be-remodeled bathroom.
When I brought them home, I seriously thought that I would have them up and sliding by the end of the weekend.
You all realize that when I say “I” when describing projects that involve more than a paint brush and screw driver, I really mean “he”. As in my husband. Kevin. Do-er of any sort of DIY involving more than a paint brush, etc. You get the idea…
Seriously, that man can do it all. Just about anything that has needed to be done in our house he has figured out how to do. Correctly, even – that’s a bonus. I know - you don’t have to tell me (but feel free to anyway :)), I am one lucky lady!
But just because you can do something does not guarantee that you always want to do it. Especially when your wife brings home a heavy, old, too-small-for-the-opening door and expects you to have it up and sliding before the end of the weekend.
I swear, it seemed like a very simple project.
I stand by that.
After much deliberation, and trips the hardware store, Lowe’s, Home Depot and 84 Lumber, we (he) purchased the following items to hang the door.
1/2″ black pipe (cut to length and re-threaded)
2 3-inch flanges
2 90-degree elbows
This picture shows how the pipe, elbow, and flange fit together and attach to the wall. This makes the rail that the door slides on. Notice the wood behind the flange. This was a little tricky. Obviously, you want the door to slide as close to the wall as possible (especially for a bathroom door). But it can’t be so close that it scrapes the wall as it travels. We found the right balance of close but not too close, but unfortunately that balance had the elbow only partially screwed into the flange, and it wasn’t securely attached. If we screwed the elbow in further to make it more secure, it pulled the door too close to the wall. Sooooo…. Kevin cut a piece of plywood to fit behind the flange which gave enough space to screw the elbow in further without pulling the door up against the wall. (phew…. that sounds complicated. My head hurts.)
So – back to supplies…
Kevin used the J-hooks to hang the door from the rail. He attached the hooks to the door with 3/8″ nuts and washers on both sides of the door. Notice, however, that the hooks are no longer in the shape of a J. He had to bend the bottom of the hooks (which are normally straight) so that he could attach them to the door. He had to use MAPP gas to heat it so that he could bend it - he tells me propane wouldn’t work because it doesn’t get hot enough. Ok, so this might not be the best option for anyone (me) afraid of gas and high heat. There are definitely other options at this point. These doors are hung using an eye hook…
(btw – this is the picture I gave Kevin when I bought the doors and assured him how simple it would be! haha.)
The advantage of a J-hook is that you can easily lift the door off of the rail should the need arise. If you use the eye hook, you have to remove the rail from the wall to slide the door off. Sometimes it’s nice to have semi-permanent options. So if you have a rock-star DIY husband like I do, go for the J-hook! lol
At this point, all that is needed is 2 casters at the bottom, and you’re ready to roll! :) (boo! didn’t see that one coming, did you??)
WHOA! Not gonna be that easy, girlfriend! (What is with me today?? Maybe I didn’t get enough sleep last night!)
So…. the door I bought wasn’t quite long enough to cover the door opening. Kevin had to add a few inches to the bottom of the door. To disguise the addition, he cut a panel that matches the other 2 panels that run across the front of the door. Then it was my job to match the finish. Oh yeah – hand over the paint brush and move out of my way, Mr. DIY.
I took a chip of the paint to Sherwin Williams and they helped me match it. I didn’t have a big enough chip to do a color match, but we found a pretty close match. I bought a sample quart of it which is a perfect way to save money. The sample quarts aren’t their highest quality paint and they don’t recommend it for applications that will get a lot of wear. Worked perfectly for the door though - and only $6!
I painted, sanded, and used a black glaze on top. I think it turned out pretty well, but I think I’ll do a bit more sanding. Once it was hanging I noticed that I used a little too much glaze and I’d like to tone it down some.
There is just no way to get a better picture. Too many walls.
I love the finished product! And it was so simple!