Sometimes I feel like I spend a lot of time re-doing things. It doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it bothers Kevin – “We have so many things that need to be done for the first time, why do you insist on re-doing things we’ve already done???!!!”. I
pretend that I don’t hear this often.
I totally get his point.
For sure we needed some curtains in our bedroom. Not so much for privacy. Our bedroom is at the back of the house and there are no houses behind ours. And I know there is no possibility of someone being in the woods back there. Right? Right???
Curtains have become a necessity since daylight savings and spring have brought the sun streaming into our windows at 6 a.m. This is no problem during the school year – I am out of bed well before 6. But I would definitely prefer to sleep past 6 a.m. during the summer.
I sewed very simple panels and hung them near the ceiling. None of the windows in the house were trimmed – drives me crazy. I really love that the curtains hide the absence of pretty wood trim!
The valence holding the mason jar lanterns was originally mounted 4 inches out from the wall. To accomodate the curtains, we had to mount it flush with the wall.
Not a great picture, but it shows the how the valence is mounted to allow room for the curtains. I obviously need some camera training!
I also had to move the hooks that hang the lanterns to the front of the valence. I found these railroad tie spikes (I love that they’re numbered!), and thought they would look much better than the cup hooks that I used before.
Just to change things up a little more, and since farmer’s markets are full of beautiful flowers right now, I thought I’d use the jars as vases instead of lanterns. (But these flowers came from Sam’s Club! Sounds so much better that they came from a farmer’s market. And I’m sure they would have looked much better than what was left at Sammy’s on a Sunday afternoon!)
A simple update, but a major change!