I have a bazillion of these fabric bins stashed away in cubbies around my house. I seriously love them for holding just about everything.
We have a small alcove just inside the front door. For the past year or so the alcove has been home to Closet-Maid cubbies (you know the ones – from Target!) full of fabric bins holding each C’s seasonal accessories. I highly recommend this for families with kids. I don’t know how it happens, but each of my C’s have a ton of hats/gloves/scarves. (It’s like these things multiply when you’re not looking!) Each C has two bins. One bin holds the accessories and the second holds a couple of extra hoodies or fleece. In the summer, one bin holds bathing suits and goggles, and the second holds towels.
This system has worked so well for us! I can’t even begin to imagine how much time it’s saved me. Love it.
Sooooo…. on to the bin beautification!!!
Part of my entry makeover (that has been dragging on for months) was to update the alcove space. The Closet Maid cubbies didn’t quite fit the space so we’re replacing them with shelves. I looked for new baskets, but the fabric bins really seem to be the best option. They’re soft and lightweight, so even though they’ll be pulled off the shelves frequently (by kids), they won’t scratch the shelf to pieces.
With 3 girls, I happen to have lots of pink bins. Ok for their bedroom – not the look I was going for in the entry.
I updated them with new fabric and handles- easiest update ever!
If you can look at a picture and figure out how to copy a project with little to no instruction, (yay for you!!) here’s the abridged version of how I did it…
Cut your fabric to size and attach it to the bin with spray adhesive. (I used Aleene’s Tacky Spray.) Use hot glue to reinforce any edges that might pull over time. Add grommets and belting material for handles. The end.
If you’re more of a recipe-follower, (that’s me!) here’s a more detailed version…
Use a seam ripper to remove the handle.
The bins that I have are about 42″ around, so I bought 1 and 1/4 yards of fabric for every 2 bins. (The fabric that I bought was 56″ wide, which is wide enough to cover 2 bins.) (Actually, you could cover 3 bins from one length of fabric. How is it that I am just now realizing this??!! Oh my.)
Cut the fabric in half length-wise. You’ll have 2 pieces that are 28″ wide by 45″ long.
If you don’t plan to line the inside of the bin, fold over the top edge of the fabric about 1/4″ and glue it in place so that you’ll have a finished edge on the inside.
I tried to position the bin so that the end of the fabric would be near a corner, rather than in middle of the bin.
Spray the back of the fabric and the sides of the bin with spray adhesive. I worked with half of the fabric and 2 sides of the bin at a time.
Wrap the fabric around the bin, pulling gently to remove wrinkles. (You can’t really pull it very tightly because the bin isn’t that sturdy.)
When you get to the end of the fabric, fold the cut edge in (wrong sides together) about 1/4″ to make a finished edge.
Fold the excess fabric at the bottom like you’re wrapping a present. Reinforce the edges with hot glue.
Spray some adhesive inside the bin, and fold the excess fabric at the top to the inside of the bin.
Reinforce any edges with hot glue.
I wanted to add handles, and I decided on grommets and this belting material. You can find the grommet kits in the drapery section of JoAnn Fabrics. There are a couple of different sizes and finishes. Buy grommets that are big enough for your handle material to fit through. The most important part of adding the grommets is measuring. Crooked handles are totally distracting.
Once I put the handle in place through the grommet, I hot-glued the excess to the inside of the bin. (If you’re using a type of rope, you can knot the end to hold it in place.)
Even though the bins aren’t really in a spot where guests can see them, (we never use our entry as an entry!) I decided to add a lining to the inside. I basically used the same method. Cut a strip of fabric about the same height as the bin. I folded in and glued both the top and bottom of the fabric for a finished edge. (If my sewing machine was handy, I might have sewn the edges – it probably would have taken the same amount of time, and actually looked neater.) Spray the inside of the bin and the wrong side of the fabric with adhesive, and press into place.
I have 2 bins completely finished. Only 6 more to go!